I received a PhD from the University of Newcastle (Australia) under the supervision of Jonathan Borwein where I was a member of the Centre for Computer-assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications (CARMA). My thesis was titled "Iterative projection and reflection methods: theory and practice". After my PhD, I moved to the University of Göttingen where I was a post-doctoral researcher with D. Russell Luke supported by DFG-GK2088 and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Prior to joining the University of Melbourne, I was Junior Professor for Mathematical Optimisation in the Institute for Numerical and Applied Mathematics at the University of Göttingen and a member of the Continuous Optimisation, Variational Analysis and Inverse Problems workgroup.
Research keywords: continuous optimisation and its applications, monotone operator theory, variational and convex analysis, symbolic computation
I am always happy to discuss potential projects with masters and PhD students as well as postdocs. Please take a look at my recent publications and send me an email outlining your background and interests.
- PhD Scholarships @ UniMelb - approximate deadlines are September 30th for international applicants and October 31st for domesetic applicants.
- McKenzie Postdoctoral Fellowship - Three year post-doctoral positions for recent doctoral graduates with a PhD from a university other than the University of Melbourne.
- Feodor Lynen Research Fellowships - As a former Alexander-von-Humboldt fellowship holder, I am eligible to host German-based researchers through the Feodor Lynen Research Fellowships scheme. There are two application categories: post-doctoral researchers (up to 4 years post-PhD), and experienced researchers (up to 12 years post-PhD).
- Maths/Stat Job Listing at UniMelb - Employment opportunities within the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Melbourne.
- Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) - Three year grant to support early career researchers (up to 5 years post-PhD).
- GOstralia! - Diverse Förderungsmöglichkeiten von Deutschland.
Conference Proceedings and Book Chapters
- Gearhart-Koshy acceleration for affine subspaces, WoMBaT (online edition), December 2020 [Video]
- Splitting algorithms with forward steps, ICCOPT Berlin, August 2019 [PDF]
- Algorithms based on unions of nonexpansive maps, ISMP Boreduax, July 2018 [PDF]
- Symbolic convex analysis, CARMA Seminar at U. Newcastle, May 2017 [PDF]
- Algorithms for blind ptychographic imaging, CARMA Workshop on Mathematics and Computation at U. Newcastle, June 2015 [PDF]
- Theory and application of convex and non-convex feasibility problems Lecture Series (on behalf of J. Borwein), Spring School on Variational Analysis in Paseky nad Jizerou, Czech Republic, April 2015. [PDF] [URL]
- Reflection methods for Euclidean distance matrix reconstruction, Australian - New Zealand Mathematics Convention at U. Melb., Dec 2014. [PDF] [Video]
- Visualizing projection algorithms, ICERM Challenges in 21st Century Experimental Mathematical Computation Workshop at Brown U., July 2014. [PDF] [Video]
- Cyclic Douglas-Rachford iterations, AustMS Annual Meeting at U.Syd, Sept-Oct 2013. [PDF]
- Douglas-Rachford for combinatorial optimisation, AMSSC at ANU, July 2013. [PDF]